Narrative Essay Ideas and Advice
These essays are quite popular among students as it is impossible to be factually wrong about a personal story. This limits the need for research. This does not mean that there are no pitfalls that exist, however. For example, before a student can even begin to write, they must have a few interesting narrative essay ideas. They must also use good spelling and grammar, descriptive language, and write with a purpose in order for their essay to be deemed a success. With this in mind, we have created this post with two goals in mind. The first is to provide students with a lot of great essay ideas. The second is to help each student reading this post to write an organized, well-formatted, and extremely readable essay.
Great Ideas for a Narrative Essay
Here are some ideas that you can use as food for thought as you begin selecting the perfect topic for your narrative essay:
- What has been your best experience so far as a college student?
- Write about a time when you were really frightened?
- Describe meeting your current boyfriend or girlfriend.
- Has anybody thrown you a surprise party? What was that like?
- Describe your favorite place
- What did you do on your last road trip?
- Plan the ideal week long vacation
- What was the last thing you did with your best friend
- When was the last time that you were completely unsure of how to handle a problem?
- What was the best piece of advice you ever received? How did you use it?
- Have you ever traveled to a foreign country?
- Have you ever climbed a mountain, gone backpacking, or experienced some other travel adventure?
Technical Advice on Writing a Narrative Essay
A student who has a great idea and a creative mind is already off to a good start when it comes to writing a great narrative essay. However, before they get started, it is very important to think about some technical issues. A big part of this is spelling and grammar, but there is more to it than that. Students must put a lot of thought into the way that they are going to tell their story to their readers. One way to write a narrative essay is to use a storytelling format. If a student wants to use this format that is fine. They simply must include all of the elements that one would expect in a story. This means a plot, climax, introduction, and conclusion.
Another option that students have is to write their narrative essay as a classically formatted essay. This would mean starting with an introductory paragraph that includes a thesis. The thesis could be related to a lesson that was learned or a conclusion the writer reaches after experiencing something.
How to Begin a Narrative Essay
Starting an essay can be quite difficult. This is no different when it comes to the narrative essay. Sometimes the best way to begin is with a bit of a sneak peak. Here is an example:
I felt my stomach jump into my chest when I saw the red and blue lights flashing behind me. What I didn't know was that the speeding ticket I was about to receive would be the best thing that ever happened to me.
This is an easy and excellent way to kick off any narrative essay.