3 Tips for Composing a Successful MBA Application Essay
Then, many more doors are automatically opened. One hurdle in this application process will be that application essay – maybe more – that you will have to prepare, and that will figure importantly as reviewers look over your applicant materials. Below you will find 3 tips for writing essays that will be exceptional and memorable.
Common Application Essay Questions
You can probably expect to write a minimum of two MBA application essay pieces in response to several prompts. One prompt is usually required and then you may choose from the remaining ones for your 2nd essay.
The Required Essay: Every B-school is going to ask you about your goals. In this essay you will need to consider the following:
- What will be your area of specialty in your master’s program? Perhaps you have decided on operations, or finance, or HR. You need to think about why this specialty is exciting to you and convince the reader of your excitement.
- Once you have your MBA, what are your career goals? Be as specific as possible here and explain why this goal is a match for you personally. Are you looking to join a large corporation with the potential of a position overseas? Have you prepared for that by studying a foreign language? These things show that you have really thought about your goals and have already taken steps to achieve them.
The Optional Essay Prompts: Every school has variations of these, but in general they will relate to the following:
- What do you bring to the business school community?
- What leadership roles have you already experienced, what was your style, and what did you achieve?
- What management theory aligns best with our style? Here, you need to be cautious and do not talk in extremes (e.g., there is only one theory that best fits). Situational management is pretty big right now, so, while you may have a favorite theory and a preferred style, you need to appear to be flexible.
- What specific skills and talents do you have that will make you a good manager/administrator. And how were those skills and talents developed?
Essay Writing: If you are not really skilled in essay writing, you will need to get some help. These essays are far more important than that simple one you wrote for college admissions 4-5 years ago. These are heavily scrutinized, and they must be scholarly, beautifully-written, and highly engaging. You may have great thoughts but if you cannot translate them to the printed word, you are in trouble.
Getting That Help: 3 Options
- If within your circle of friends, relatives, and acquaintances, you have any accomplished writers, you may want to seek assistance there. However, you also want to be certain that they have some understanding of business administration as well.
- If you have a decent relationship with both an English and a business professor on campus, you can certainly solicit help from these two. Generally, however, they will want you to write the essays and they will provide suggestions for revision and polishing.
- You can contract with a professional writing service that has graduate-degreed business writers on staff. They have lots of experience with these essays and will happily take your thoughts and ideas and craft exceptional essays for you. Just make sure best essay writing service.
Don’t jeopardize your chances for admission by mediocre essays. This is just too important to your future. Take the tips seriously and get the help you need.